Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Our New Neighbor

I have a lot of flowers on our deck in the backyard.
One of the baskets of flowers is on a hook hanging by the sliding glass door.
A few weeks ago, while I was watering this plant, I noticed this:

A little bird had decided to make this plant a home for her nest.
The kids were really excited to see it there.
I left the flowers alone for awhile to see if the bird would come back and lay eggs in it.
After a week, I saw this:


One cute little blue egg!

Then a few days ago, I checked on it again.

The kids were really excited to see 4 eggs now!



(I don't know why one of them is brown, maybe they turn brown the older they get??)

The other day I finally got to take a picture of the mam bird.


I had to do it from the inside, because whenever we open the door, this happens:


I had stopped watering this plant because I didn't want to disturb the nest too much and make the mama bird leave, but yesterday I noticed the flowers were so wilted, that they didn't provide much protection for the nest. So I watered it & the flowers popped back up within an hour. I also noticed that there were 5 eggs in the nest (two are brown now).

The kids are anxiously awaiting the eggs to hatch so they can see the baby birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment